Saturday, May 5, 2007

2 and 2 makes ...

Mathematical answer = 4
Logical (and creative) answer = 22


The question is "what is 2 and 2"? If your answer is 4 you are adding 2+2 or maybe multiplying 2x2. On the other hand, by thinking creatively you could say 22 because that number is made by putting 2 and 2 together.

Do you want to try another one? This next one is a visual thinking problem, rather than a mathematical problem. To continue, click HERE.

(Please do NOT explore the rest of this answer blog ~~ doing that would spoil all the fun you could have with the other questions!)

4 comments:

Ginnie said...

Oops, sorry. I posted my answer on the wrong page.

Bonnie Jacobs said...

It's okay, Ginnie. I'll just move your comment over here:

Ginnie said, "Because you asked what IS 2 and 2, I answered 22. If you had asked what ARE 2 and 2 I would have answered 4, or perhaps I would have been flippant and told you 2 and 2 are a double-date."

I don't think ANYONE has commented at all on my creativity problems, so I'm happy you commented anywhere!

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Today, I discovered another person thinks the way I think. Arianna Huffington wrote about the merger of AOL and HuffPost that "the blending will have a multiplier effect. Or, as Tim and I have been saying over the last couple of weeks: 1 + 1 = 11." Here's the whole article:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/arianna-huffington/huffington-post-aol_b_819373.html

To see the original post that leads to this answer, go to this URL:

http://bonniesbooks.blogspot.com/2007/05/bonnies-thinking-challenge.html

Anonymous said...

2+2=0 in arithmetic modulo 4. This is the arithmetic of the 4 hour clock with hours 0, 1, 2 and 3. So if it is zero o'clock and two hours go by and then another 2 hours go by, it is now zero 0'clock.

Things are never as simple as you think they are. Modular arithmetic is now used in the latest version of cryptography, so is is not so esoteric as one might think.

Anna Lemma

P. S. I enjoyed your site.